Today I want to share how we made these delightful DIY yarn star ornaments! I love this idea of wrapping pipe cleaners with yarn. It’s not only charming and pretty, but therapeutic. (And yes, everything is cuter with pom-poms!)
[ I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn small fees at no cost to you by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. ]
Supplies needed for Yarn Star Ornaments:
~ Pom-pom makers
How to make Yarn Star Ornaments:
1. Begin by wrapping the pipe cleaner along the outside of the star cookie cutter to make a perfect star shape. (This would also work with a heart or tree cookie cutter as well!) Now tape the two ends together.
2. Choose your yarn colors. If you have an ombre yarn, this works well because it changes colors as you keep wrapping around the shape. If you want to make up your own color combos, then just cut a foot of yarn of each color and attach them with knots. Trim the knots.
3. Wrap the yarn around your shape. It works best if you roll your yarn into a ball so that you can pass it through the middle of the star each time you go around. The wrapping will take about half an hour. When you are finished, tie a double knot.
4. Lastly, make your pom-pom. We used a pom-pom maker but you can make them any way that works.
5. When trimming your pom-pom, leave one of the longer strings to tie to your star. Double knot everything. Then make a hanger from yarn.
These would also make a great gift topper, or as a little something handmade to give to a teacher along with a gift certificate.
(Orignal post on Small for Big, December 2013)
– – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
Did you like this post? Here are more Christmas ideas: